In today’s episode, Avery, Jamie, and Lucy talk about accessing support. We sometimes get the message that we should be able to do everything on our own, but we all need help sometimes. We talk about how it feels to ask for help, the barriers to asking for help, and the benefits of giving and receiving support.
In this episode we discuss:
- What happens when we don’t ask for help and how asking for help can impact our relationships
- How it feels to ask for help and what gets in the way of asking for help when we need it
- The benefits of asking for help (both for the asker and one being asked)
- How to ask for help in a clear and direct way
Do try this at home:
- Give yourself a permission slip to ask for help – you don’t have to do it all yourself!
- Inventory people in your life: who is reliable, dependable, and trustworthy? If you have difficulty asking for help, start higher up on the list.
- Remember that as humans, we feel good when we can help someone else. Allow others to have that positive experience of helping someone by asking them to help you. As an added bonus, asking someone for help lets them know we trust them, which strengthens our relationship.