Warning: this episode is coming in hot with a few unexpected F-bombs. Be prepared! Or at least pop in your earbuds if you have small kids loitering or skip to the 52 second mark to avoid altogether! In today’s episode we talk about the importance of play. As adults, it can be hard to connect with “nonproductive” activity such as play. Jamie, Lucy, and Avery share their own experiences with play, discuss benefits of play, and encourage listeners to experiment with play to connect more fully with themselves and the world, both personally and professionally.
We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.—George Bernard Shaw.
In this episode we discuss:
- Play’s impact on our brains and overall well-being (the lesson of the sea squirt!)
- How play differs from other activities
- Connecting with childhood memories of play
- Different modes of play
- Tips for creating more opportunities for play
Do try this at home:
- Find everyday opportunities to play
- Connect to play through movement
- Create a safe space for play
- Allow yourself to be a beginner again
- Surround yourself with others who are supportive of play