Today Avery, Jamie, and Lucy talk about all things related to Joy. We explore what, exactly, joy is, how we experience joy, barriers to joy, and opportunities for increasing joy in our lives. To help us better understand this topic, we surveyed people with the following 5 questions:
- How do you define joy?
- What are some characteristics of joy? Describe your experiences of joy?
- What brings you joy in your life?
- Tell me your most joy filled memory.
- What interferes with joy?
Do try this at home:
- Intentionally notice joy. Be mindful and aware of things in your life that create joy. (Note: you might have to slow down and get a little still to really notice!)
- Practice gratitude, as this can lead to joy.
- Look for joy in the simple moments.
- Try a Loving Kindness practice. You can start with “I wish for X to be happy” or “May X be free of suffering.” Fill in the blank with someone in your life.
- 3 Breath Meditation: Take 3 breaths. On the first, bring your full attention to the process of breathing. On the second, calm your physical body. On the third, bring joy to mind in any way. If step 3 is hard, deliberately bring a smile to your face and see what happens. (You can also try this using a minute of breaths per step, rather than just a breath.)